Friday 25 January 2013

Can you grow out of autism?

There's a lot of stuff in the press lately about children being able to grow out of autism.

Reading these articles, I can't help but think these people they describe only have their toe dipped into the spectrum, and therefore it's easy enough for them to have a normal enough life with therapy and help to be considered normal.

Whenever I think of Emily grown up, it sends shivers down my spine. I really have no idea what to expect, and sometimes assume everything will be fine and normal, as these reports say. Other times, I imagine her in one of those homes that are always in the news for abuse and it just sends my head spinning.

I have to remain of the conviction that a) we're doing everything that is possible for Emily which will b) lead to her having the best life she can. If that life is straddling the line of normal, I'd see that as us winning the lottery, but I count the odds of that outcome just as high.
blog comments powered by Disqus